Landfill-biodegradable hand stretch wrap can be recycled or disposed of in the general rubbish bin. Once disposed to landfill, biodegradation is accelerated approximately 90%+ faster than conventional hand stretch wrap, producing an organic matter (a natural fertiliser) and no microplastics.
– Are all about ‘convenience’ and designed for ‘time poor’ consumers (who are mindful of their impact on the environment)
– Can be either reusable or recyclable
– Biodegrades 90%+ faster than conventional plastics, biodegrading under typical landfill environmental conditions (much faster than traditional plastics which take hundreds of years to biodegrade)
– The methane produced from accelerated landfill-biodegradable plastics can be captured within the time frame the landfill is actively managed, rather than being released into the atmosphere over hundreds of years after the landfill has closed and stopped being managed. This captured methane can be used for fuel and energy production
– Biodegradation of plastic is achieved by enabling microorganisms to metabolize (i.e. break down) the molecular structure of the plastic, which produces a humus-like material (organic matter) which is a natural plant fertiliser and a biogas
– Do not fragment into microplastics during biodegradation
Landfill-biodegradable products are made by combining traditional plastic with an organic additive. The biodegradation only begins when the plastic is exposed to a microbe-rich environment, such as a landfill. The additive attracts microbes to the plastic and they start to digest it. As they do this, the enzymes (the microbes secrete) break the carbon bonds in the plastic molecule allowing the microbes to digest them for their energy. As more enzymes are secreted, more atoms are removed from the plastic molecule (called depolymerisation) which the microbes can digest. As this process continues, the plastic molecule is broken down and digested away.
The biodegradability of plastic can be confirmed by comparing biodegradation results from an independent laboratory using either ASTM D5511, ASTM D5526 or Bio-Methane Potential (BMP) tests.
Purchases can be made on-line using Visa or Mastercard through Windcave (you do not need an account), or direct debit. If you are a business and would like to open an account please download anaccount application formand send back to us.
Freight is charged by weight and carton size, indicitive costs per carton are: Auckland $7.20, Whangarei to Hamilton $10.50, North Island $14.00, South Island $16.00 + GST, Rural charges are extra.
We stock New Zealand's widest range of eco-friendly and sustainable cleaning, hygiene and food packaging supplies.